Design and Consultation
By employing an understanding of good garden plants appropriate for the site and climate, traditional and rational design principles as well as a careful conversation with the client, Hinkley has assisted in creating landscape and gardens both sustainable and satisfying. Hinkley works both directly with clients as well as consults through umbrella design, architecture and landscape architecture offices.
Selected Consulting and Design Projects
- Hillcrest Renovation, University of Washington Presidents Mansion, ad hoc committee chair for landscape design, 2005, Seattle
- Smithsonian Institute, horticultural consultant for Kathryn Gustafson, Gustafson Guthrie Nichol Ltd 2005, Washington D.C.
- Heronswood Nursery and Garden, founder, co-owner (1987-2000) and Director of Collections (2000-2006), specialists in trees, shrubs, vines, grasses, perennials, ferns. Design & construction, 1987-2005, Kingston, Washington
- Windcliff, personal residence, design & installation, 2002 – 2007, Indianola, Washington
- Martha Stewart Residences, consultant and correspondent, 1998 – 2005, Skylands, Seal Harbor, Maine, Turkey Hill, CT and Bedford, NY residences
- Richard and Elizabeth Hedreen, Indianola Residence, horticultural consultant for The Berger Partnership, 2002, Bainbridge Island, Washington
- Washington Park Arboretum, Arboretum Master Plan, south Entrance, horticultural consultant for The Portico Group, 2004-2007, Seattle
- Collier Family Residence, horticultural consultant, 2002, Naples, Florida
- John Wott, Director of Washington Park Arboretum, Residence, garden and deck design, 1999, Seattle
- Elizabeth C. Miller, Highlands Residence, horticultural advisor and gardener, 1990 – 1991, Seattle